3 Home Maintenance Tips For Las Vegas Summers
In summer, your biggest worry should be about having enough food for your summer party, and not how to repair a rotted deck or a leaky appliance. Preventing problems before they happen is the key to summer home maintenance in Las Vegas. By inspecting and fixing small issues you discover, you can prevent bigger, more expensive projects down the line. Here’s 3 summer home maintenance tips that help you stay on top of your house’s maintenance before bigger problems occur.
1. Increase Your Home’s Energy Efficiency
Summer is the perfect time in Las Vegas to make your home more energy efficient so that you can keep your home cool and your utility bills low. The first thing you should do is check your doors and windows for leaks that let air in. Put weatherstripping on doors or replace old weatherstripping if you feel air passing through. Check your windows’ caulking for any missing pieces or cracks and replace the broken sections.
You can also reduce your energy bill by using an energy efficient window treatment like plantation shutters - and potentially get a tax credit. Polywood® faux wood plantation shutters reduce the transfer of air through your windows. They’re 70% more energy efficient than traditional wooden shutters and 1600% more energy efficient than aluminum blinds.
2. Enhance Your Porches And Patios
If you’re planning on throwing parties on your patio or porch during the summer, make sure it’s in the best shape for guests. Start by checking your deck or patio for safety. Look around to see if there are any supports, boards, or stairs that should be replaced because they’re broken and can’t bear weight. Then stain or seal your deck and patio to give it a fresh look and protect it from the summer sun and rain.
After you’ve fixed any damaged boards and areas and sealed your patio, you’re ready for the fun part - making it shine. Make your doors and windows adjacent to your porch and patio more beautiful by installing window treatments like plantation shutters for your sliding door or french doors or sidelight shutters. Then make your porch or patio a haven by bringing in new patio furniture or maybe even a fire pit. Landscape the edges of your patio or porch to make it more colorful.
3. Maintain Large Appliances
Appliances that are broken or leak can put a stop to your summer plans. Here’s a few things to watch out for with your major appliances to keep them running smoothly:
● Refrigerator. Clogged refrigerator coils can raise your electric bill by making your fridge work harder. It’s easy to clean and vacuum them out. Unplug your refrigerator and then use the crevice tool on your vacuum (or a coil cleaning brush attachment) to vacuum out the coils.
● Dishwasher. Inspect your dishwasher for any lines that are leaking or backed up water. Then deodorize it and give it a deep clean by adding a cup of vinegar to a cycle. Finally, empty and clean the filter (located underneath the spray arms in most models) with soap and water.
● Washer and dryer. Inspect your washing machine hoses for any cracks, leaks, or bulges. Replace the hoses if needed. You should clean out your dryer hose and exterior vent annually or have a professional do the job.
Have A Fun Summer
By keeping on top of your home and appliances, you can enjoy a pleasant summer. And if you want to give your home a fresh look this year with window treatments for your patios, living rooms, or kitchen, check out our idea gallery and then contact us for a free in-home consultation at 702-850-6619. We’ll show you all your window treatment options in Las Vegas and do all the measuring and installation so you can relax and have a pleasant summer.